12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos is a 2018 self-help book by Canadian clinical psychologist and psychology professor Jordan Peterson. It provides life advice through essays in abstract ethical principles, psychology, mythology, religion, and personal anecdotes.
The book topped bestseller lists in Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom, and has sold over five million copies worldwide. Critics have praised the book’s advice and its atypical style, though Peterson’s writing style has been criticized by some.
Mr. Peterson has a large following, and his 12 Rules have made an impact on peoples’ lives, especially young men.
Peterson’s 12 rules are based on an evolutionary psychologist’s view of the world. His 12 Rules are as follows:
- “Stand up straight with your shoulders back.”
- “Treat yourself like you are someone you are responsible for helping.”
- “Make friends with people who want the best for you.”
- “Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today.”
- “Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them.”
- “Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world.”
- “Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient).”
- “Tell the truth — or, at least, don’t lie.”
- “Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t.”
- “Be precise in your speech.”
- “Do not bother children when they are skateboarding.”
- “Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.”
Though these rules, especially the explanations behind them, are rational and good, Peterson does not believe the Word of God is true in the sense of historically, scientifically, or culturally true.
I do. Therefore, I am proposing 12 BIBLICAL Rules for Life.
- Stand up straight with trust in the power of God.
- Always depend on God’s good faithfulness to you.
- Make friends with people for their personal good.
- Compare yourself to whom God declares you to be.
- Always love and like your children, even when they fail.
- Your house is not in perfect order so show grace.
- Live life for an eternal purpose with an abiding joy.
- Live by what is true and not by the lies of this world.
- Tall trees (proud people) are always brought low by God.
- Let your words be few with much willingness to listen.
- Be present and enjoy the moments of simple pleasures.
- A person with character cares for the needs of animals.
When these 12 Beliefs Rule Your Life, you will be able to withstand any failures and hardships in life.
Gideon was a warrior for Israel, but Israel’s enemies were powerful and numerous. Gideon lost sight of the LORD and His faithfulness and began hiding in a cave in fear. The angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon in the cave and said, “The LORD is with you mighty warrior” (Judges 6:12). Amazing, is it not, that this fearful, cowardly man is called a “mighty warrior”? It is an understanding of the LORD’S presence in your life is that takes you from your place of fear to the field of victory.